Monday, April 26, 2010

Invitations


Today at school I noticed a number of little boys walking out of the school with invitations in their hands.  My heart caught a little as I said a little prayer that Adam would be invited too.  He didn't say anything to me about it when I found him at his locker.  While he played outside I looked through his backpack to see if there was one in there but,  there wasn't.  As I sat on the bench and watched him play at the park while we waited for Isla to get there I was overcome with helplessness.  You know that feeling that he is going to be hurt and there is nothing that I can do.  I want him to have friends, be invited to birthday parties, to be happy, to feel like he belongs, to feel included and not alone.  I have no idea whose party it is and it really doesn't matter, I also know that you can not invite everyone to your party and I don't expect that he will get invited to all of them.  But...... I really wish that he never had to be disappointed or hurt.  What hard life lessons birthday party invitations are.  The funny thing is that he is oblivious to the anxiety I feel for him.  He may not even be bothered but for whatever reason I am having a moment?!?  What is wrong with me?

1 comment: