Thursday, December 30, 2010

Spicy Asian Almonds

Do you have any recipes that you are known for?  Well this is one of mine.  I have been making these for years and have refused all that have asked for the recipe.  Why?  I am not really sure but I wanted to be able to give them as gifts to people and they wouldn’t need them if they could make them themselves.  But for whatever reason (probably because I have found other good recipes to give away) I have been sharing.  They are different, a bit sweet and definitely savory, and have a bit of heat to them but you can of course control that.  I have little ones in my house that like them with a little less spice.

IMG_4814

I get really great almonds out at Costco.  They come in bags of 9 cups so I make two batches out of one of those bags.

IMG_4815

Looking all sticky and good!

IMG_4818

They turn this wonderful colour as it cooks.  Delicious.  I love these, I hope you do as well.

Spicy Asian Almonds

2tbsp     butter

1/4 cup    corn syrup

1-1/2 Tbsp     soy sauce

1 tsp     salt

1 tsp    cayenne pepper

1     clove garlic, pressed

1/2 tsp    hot pepper flakes

4 cups whole almonds, skin on

2 Tbsp    sesame seeds

    salt

Melt butter in large microwave safe bowl by microwaving on HIGH 15 to 30 seconds.  Stir in corn syrup, butter, soy sauce, salt, cayenne, garlic and hot pepper flakes.  Microwave on HIGH 90 seconds, until mixture boils.  Stir in almonds and sesame seeds coating nuts well.  Spread out onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to keep nuts separated.  For an extra flavour hit, sprinkle with some additional salt during baking.  Remove nuts from foil (I used parchment paper and it worked even better than foil as less of the stuff got left on the paper)immediately after baking and cool.  Store in sealed container.  Makes 4 cups.

Spicy Asian Almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment